Rosie and I have been in our condo for four weeks so that means we’ve been doing our own version of Ryan Nicodemus’ â€œpacking partyâ€ for just over a month. (I closed on the condo on September 29th so the official start of the project was October 1st even though we didn’t move in until October 11th.)
Ryan’s â€œpartyâ€ ended after 21 days. I’m giving myself 90, though I’m starting to wonder how much more I’m really going to unpack. I have yet to go a day without unpacking something and I expect to unpack more wintery things as it gets colder but the low right now is only in the 50s. (Ah the joys of living in the desert.)
When I got my first apartment, my mom took my shopping for my kitchen basics – dishes, glasses, cooking supplies, etc. When I moved to Phoenix, the house was fully furnished, so my kitchen gear mostly lived in the garage for 10 years except for a few specialty items. Now I’m rediscovering my cooking supplies and seeing what I actually need and use. I suspect I’ll keep a handful of basics that I barely use – like my hand mixer and my casserole dish – just so I won’t have to replace them when a rarely-used recipe requires one of them.
Here’s what I unpacked in the last week.
- Rosie’s flea treatment (she gets this once a month) and doggie bags
- Toaster and plate
- Hairbrush (that I’m using this as a microphone to practice for an upcoming speech. I’ve always used a brush for this.)
- Hat and yoga pants (Yay! It’s finally cold enough for yoga pants!)
- Two knives
- Slacks, blouse, and t-shirt
- Clipboard and notebook
- Anniversary card (which I bought on sale in July)
- Glow-in-the-dark ball (for Rosie)
- Cookbook (to help me make my shopping list), knife, and plate
- Heating pad and 2 Styrofoam cups (to make an ice cup)
- Lip balm (I have no problem admitting I’m addicted to lip balm.)
- DVD (because I think you’re obligated to watch V for Vendetta on 11/5)
- Socks and tank top
- Hiking boots and socks
- Caffeine pills
After the end of Week 4, I took some time to go through and combine several half-empty boxes. I’ve gotten rid of at least 4 boxes since my last video. It makes a big difference in the amount of free space I have and has me thinking about how I want to use it going forward.