2010 was an eventful year for me.Â As I was driving from Phoenix to my parents’ place in Sonoma, CA, I started reflecting on the highlights of the year.
- My Sister’s Wedding. This was hands-down the best day of the year. Â I consider myself to be my sister’s little sister and her big brother so watching her get married to such a wonderful man was a very big deal. Â I watched Morena marry the love of her life, Rick, Â in a wedding that the two of them designed with hand-selected music and readings. Â My sister, who is also a law student (super smart, editor of her law review), was stunning. Â It was wonderful to meet her in-laws (who are awesome!) and reconnect with friends. Â It was everything a wedding is supposed to be.
- Sponsor A Law Kid. I am often a person who has creative ideas but who is too afraid to put them into action. Â I have to thank Kade Dworkin and Meet My Followers to inspiring this idea and the social media community for encouraging me in this endeavor. Â When I posted the first #SALK blog, I thought, “I’m either a genius or crazy.” Â I also thought about the advice I received from Sam Glover who said to think about the worst thing that could happen. Â For #SALK, the worst thing that could happen was nothing. Â To date, #SALK has sold 28 days and funded over $1000 of next semester’s education.
- Jester’Z Improv Acting Class. I am a person who thrives in structure. Â Most of my flashmobs and pranks are fairly planned out in advance. Â This class put my classmates and I had no idea what was going to happen on stage or what scenario we would be asked to play out. Â Taking this acting class pushed me think faster on my feet and to enjoy the simplicity of play. Â It also gave me aÂ reprieveÂ from reality for three hours every week. Â My friend, Jeff Moriarty, shot a snippet of my final showcase. Â Per the audience’s suggestion, my classmate Linzi and I were supposed to be “pumped lawyers.” Â Most of the audience did not know that I was in law school. Â I love how happy I look in this video.
- Rock n Roll Half Marathon. I ran my first half marathon in 2010. Â It was 2 hours and 9 minutes of masochistic fun. Â It was hard, but I’m glad I did it, and I’m doing it again next year.
- Finding My Legal Niche. I solidified my decision to specialize in intellectual property and internet law this last year. Â I’ve enjoyed so many of my classes in this area: Intellectual Property, Cyberspace Law, High Tech Licensing, Copyright, Trademark Law, and Privacy. Â I’m looking forward to working with entrepreneurs through ASU’s Innovation Advancement Program next semester.
I had many firsts in 2010:
- First internship at a big law firm
- First internship with an in-house legal department
- First half marathon
- First trip to Ohio
- First California roll (eww)
- First guest appearance on a podcast
- First painted toenails
- First paintball game
- First talk on a legal topic at a conference
- First trip to the Firefly Room in the Phoenix Art Museum
I am excited for what’s to come in 2011.