Day 78 of theÂ 90 Days of AwesomeÂ is in the bank! What made today awesome? I got to meet some of the new law students at ASU at their orientation reception.
ASU Law School has a reception during 1L orientation where they invite their alums to meet the new students. It’s in the evening so the 1Ls are exhausted from a long day of information overload and culture shock. It’s fun to share tips for surviving law school and give them a glimpse of what life after law school is like.
My goal for attending these types of event is to show law students that there’s more than one way to be a lawyer. I purposely attended in jeans and a tank top to show them that not all lawyers wear a suit every day. Along with talking about my legal career as an Of Counsel attorney, blogger, speaker, and author, I tried to share some lessons that got my though law school:
- If you’re smart enough to get into law school, you’re smart enough to get through it.
- Sometimes you’ll lose your mind a bit due to stress and fatigue, but it’s temporary. You will bounce back and be happy again.
- The difference between the top and the bottom of the class is small. Unless your dream job requires you to be at the top of your class, you don’t have to check your grades. I didn’t.
- Become friends with the IT guys. They will save your ass when your computer breaks.
- The staff and faculty at ASU Law are as supportive as they claim to be. If you need or want something, ask.
- Treat law school like a trade school. Learn your craft and network your face off you so will be well connected to the community by the time you graduate. If you have an opportunity that requires skipping a class, definitely skip class.
I also met a 1L who I exchanged emails with a few years ago. She’d asked me if law school was worth it and I told her to ask herself whether a law degree was necessary to achieve her goals. If so, go to law school. And now she’s at ASU. That was really cool.
I gave my business card to just about every law student I met and I told them to call or email if they need anything. We’ll now many of them take me up on it.
For anyone who discovers this post after meeting me tonight, here a bonus for you: Seven Layers of Academic Hell.
In case you missed it: Day 77 of the 90 Days of Awesome â€“ I treated myself to a Suzie Housewife Day!