I received a request to meet with a fellow lawyer who is new to Arizona and starting a solo practice. He wanted to hear about my experiences starting a firm and marketing myself with social media. It’s always fun to chat with receptive lawyers about what’s working for me with social media. This guy was brand new to the valley so I got to give him an overview about networking in the Phoenix area.
We met for lunch at Fez. I picked this restaurant for several reasons:
- They have awesome food.
- They’re on the light rail â€“ which would give my friend a chance to try public transit.
- They’re members of Local First Arizona â€“ great way to introduce this organization to him.
- And they’re accepting Golden Coupons during Independents Week so we got 20% off our bill.
I enjoy Independents Week. It’s a week to focus on spending your money at locally-owned businesses so more money stays in the community. It may seem strange that I (an aspiring minimalist) get excited about a consumerism-focused event. But there is method to my madness.
- Carter Law Firm and Venjuris are members of Local First Arizona, and I believe in keeping my money in my community.
- Although I’m not a recreational shopper, I do buy things.
- I’m frugal.
- Shopping during Independents Week with the Golden Coupon to buy things I’m going to buy anyway lets me get them at a discount.
- Everyone wins!
With nearly 3,000 businesses belonging to Local First Arizona, it’s hard to keep track of everyone. Seeing the list of companies that are accepting Golden Coupons is a reminder of some of the awesome local businesses in this state.
In case you missed it: Day 28 of the 90 Days of Awesome was Less than Awesome.