Today’s sponsors are Micah and Danielle Larripa, two of the most wonderful people I’ve met during law school.Â Micah is my classmate and a proud member of the U.S. Marine Corps who is perpetually â€œliving the dream.â€Â Danielle is his beautiful wife.Â They asked me to write about the â€œawesomeness of obscure animal racing events in Arizona.â€Â I did some digging and here are the top 8 animal races in Arizona.
Ostrich Races:Â The ostrich races are part of the annual Ostrich Festival in Chandler.Â Â There are races where ostriches pull chariots and races where participants ride the giant birds.Â It’s a hilarious crazy event where you’re likely to see the birds spinning in circles and races where every jockey falls off their bird.
- Pug Olympics:Â I had to throw in a pug event for the Larripa’s pug, Scout.Â This annual event takes place every January in Mesa.Â From what I can tell, they let the dogs run wild on agility equipment.
- Dog Sled Race:Â This race is part of the annual Winter Games at the Hon-Dah Resort Casino in Pinetop.Â The Winter Games also raise money for the local humane society with a purebred dog show a â€œmountain muttâ€ dog show, and a dog weight pull competition.
- Pig Races at Schnepf Farms: Â The pig races are part of the pumpkin and chili festival every October.Â Hillbilly Bob calls the races as the little pig race around the dirt track.Â This is a great family event where attendees all get pig noses for being there.
- Desert Dachshund Race:Â This event looks adorable â€“ dachshunds zipping down a race area in little colorful race bibs.Â This race occurs every October and benefits the Sahuaro Dachshund Rescue.
- Goat Dressing : This isn’t a race, but it’s an animal event that was too hilarious not to put on the list.Â The Arizona Gay Rodeo Association hosts the Road Runner Regional Rodeo for the International Gay Rodeo Association every February.Â Along with the standard rodeo events (bull riding, barrel racing, roping, etc.), they have Goat Dressing â€“ an event where teams of two compete to see who can put a pair of panties on a goat the fastest.
- Mascot Race:Â Ok, so this is not exactly an animal race, but I’m sure that there are people dressed up as animals.Â Mascots from local restaurants race one mile as part of the annual Gilbert Days every November.
- Warrior Dash:Â The Warrior Dash is an event for humans with animalistic spirit.Â This hellish 3.4 mile race is peppered with twelve obstacles including a cargo net, a river, barbed wire, and fire.Â Participants receive a Viking helmet and a beer upon crossing the finish line.Â The Warrior Dash has races in 30 cities in and out of the U.S.Â It’s coming to Arizona for the first time this spring.Â And in case you were wondering, yes, I’m doing it.
Sponsor A Law Kid is my endeavor to pay for my last semester of law school. Today’s sponsors are Micah and Danielle Larripa.Â For more information about Sponsor A Law Kid or to see what days are still available for sponsorship, visit my Sponsor A Law Kid page.