It’s Phoenix Comicon this weekend! I feel like Geek Christmas is upon us. I love going to geek events because from the moment I walk in, I know I’m surrounded by people who â€œget it.â€ We don’t have to explain why we love what we love, we just get to enjoy it with our fellow geeks. This weekend, we’re taking over the Phoenix Convention Center. It’s going to be a fun time.
I’m excited that the powers that be at Phoenix Comicon have asked me to be part of two panels this year:
- The Legalities of Fan Fiction and Fan Art – Saturday, May 25th at 3pm
- Comic Creator Rights – Sunday, May 26th at 10:30am
The variety and array of events at Phoenix Comicon this year is huge! I spent a good chunk of last weekend going through the schedule and building out my conquest. Here’s what’s on my docket besides my talks:
Friday, May 24th
- Deep Space Nine: 20 Years Later – I’m a huge DS9 fan so I’m super excited for this.
- From Bullying to Harmony: Understanding and Dealing with Bullying – great panel for this audience.
- Phoenix Ultimate Geek Smackdown III – this is definitely one of the best events at Phoenix Comicon.
- Awesome Hour with Wil Wheaton – If I haven’t turned into a pumpkin yet.
Saturday, May 25th
- Hit Phoenix Public Market for lunch before going to Phoenix Comicon.
- Klingon Language for Beginners – I’ve always wanted to learn Klingon. I tried to learn with the tapes, but I only picked up a handful of words.
- Trek Fandom in the Valley – I’ve been thinking I want to do more with the Trek community.
Sunday, May 26th
- Wheaton and Scalzi, Together Again – I’ll go if I’m not conned out by this point. Given that I’m a massive introvert and don’t particularly like large crowds of people, I probably will be.
There are some sci-fi speed dating events. It might be interesting in doing this, but given that a lot of people go to cons to hook up and that’s not my bag, this might not be for me.
Of course there is also the vendor room at Phoenix Comicon too. I’m always on the market for a good geeky t-shirt. The challenge is finding ones that aren’t printed on super cheap itchy shirts. Having custom shirts made at Brand X has turned me into a bit of a t-shirt snob. I’d love to get a Star Trek or a Wheaton’s Law t-shirt.
I’ve lost at least 20 pounds since my bought my Starfleet uniform so now it’s too big for me to wear. Seeing the new Star Trek movie has inspired me to get a new one. I’d love to have Uhura’s dress from the movie for when I’m feeling sassy and a gray-and-black jumpsuit from Deep Space Nine for every day wear. I’m also on the lookout for a morphsuit too – probably in royal blue, though it would be fun to get one in black and pretend to be people’s shadows.
I’m really looking forward to getting my geek on and bonding with my fellow nerds this weekend. Hopefully I’ll see you there!